Monday, June 16, 2008

You can go your own way...


I get that pedestrians have the right of way. Fine. That crosswalk is made for walking, and that's just what you'll do.

You'll walk in front of my car, we'll make eye contact, you'll wave and say "thank you." I will put four fingers up while still holding the top of my steering wheel with my thumb to say "no problem!"

I deal with this daily. The town that I live in has a pretty crowded Main Street with crosswalks about every 25 feet. It's a pretty expected interaction.

My one plea to citizens of ColorMeBlah-ville...maybe stop before walking in a crosswalk? Give the old, "Oh, does this person see me? Are we making eye contact? Is he/she going to slow down? Yes? Ok. Great! I will proceed."

Please, for the love of all that is good and right and just and great, do NOT put on an Invisibility Cloak, crouch down and hide behind a parked car adjacent to the crosswalk and then BOLT out into the crosswalk like Jesse Owens.

You know who you are. I hate you.

6 comments:

Andy said...

Jeez, women drivers...

I kid, I kid; I'm in total agreement.

If a pedestrian doesn't bother to look before crossing an area in which a kineticlicious 2-ton projectile could send him or her into the nearest restaurant the hard way upon impact, then I reserve the right to pretend I don't see them and step on the gas. End of story.

Felx29 said...

If you think your town is bad, try Lexington Center, where there is a crosswalk every 10 feet, AND the entire town feels like they are entitled to just walk wherever and whenever they feel like it. I've actually seen near accidents from people just strutting out rather than showing some caution. Friday, a woman almost got hit by a mack truck, and then had the balls to get mad at the truck, not herself for being a moron......

Anonymous said...

I'm the guy you hate in this description of yours. I do see your car and I do acknowledge it is bigger and faster than me, and takes a hell of a lot more energy to stop. That being said, I'm stubborn. There's no way I'll admit to myself that I can't beat your car across the street before it flattens me. Nope. I'm crafty too, and have no problem sauntering halfway into the street, banking on the fact that you'll nearly pass me by the time I get there. I time it perfectly so you don't have to stop and I finagle my way between your car and the one behind you, Frogger-style.

Lesson: just don't stop. We pedestrians are pretty resilient.

Anonymous said...

You hate Jesse Owens? Racist.

Andy said...

We're both being lazy and not updating. I'll do it by Friday of this week if you do.

Bilvox said...

hahhaa diggin your blog, stumbled across it and looking forward to reading more.
cheers
~bilvox