Sunday, May 11, 2008

I drove all night....

Have you ever thought something and then became embarrassed for yourself and relieved that no one can actually hear your thoughts? I do that pretty regularly. There are two situations in particular, both having to do with driving, where I just can't stop myself from having the most ridiculous reactions...then I give myself the embarrassed chills and proceed to repeat the reaction again whenever the situation presents itself. I just don't learn.

1. Whenever I'm driving (particularly at night), and the person in front of me throws a cigarette out the window...I watch the tiny red glow bounce off the ground as I drive towards it....AND BRACE MYSELF because I'm convinced my car is going to blow up as soon as I pass over it...it never does...but it could one day...and I don't know enough about cars to convince myself otherwise. A cigarette is a flame and a car is a moving tank of gasoline with a sunroof. BRACE!

2. While driving next to a big truck, if I can see an overpass in the distance, I start to think "Oh man, there's no way that truck is gonna make it under that overpass, it's way too tall and I think the overpass might be tooOHMYGOSH IT MADE IT!!" Phew. I end up feeling like that guy in The Neverending Story (Engywook) who yells "He made it! He made it!" and tumbles out of the basket after Atreyu runs through the Sphinx gate. That guy always gave me the creeps.

I'm not sure what it is about those two situations that illicit such a strong reaction from me, but I'm sure glad no one can hear my thought process when it happens....so don't tell anyone about this, K? Shhh...

4 comments:

Chuck Tanowitz said...

So... if the truck driver in front of you throws a cigarette out the window as he's headed for an overpass... your head would explode?

Unknown said...

I think overpass is a funny word. Isn't it just a bridge...or do you go under an overpass and over a bridge? Now i'm scared. BRACE!

Anonymous said...

Dear Cat Lady,

They may be irrational thoughts, but I give you credit for at least focusing on the road and the drivers around you.

While behind the wheel, I often worry about missing the opening of the WZLX Ticket Window or find myself contemplating whether or not Reef flip-flops were a wise choice for driving.

In fact, it is more likely that I will crash into you, causing your car to explode, than anything else.

Now, I'm embarrassed.

(Did I just say that? Or think it?)

Andy said...

I demand a new post! As long as everything's ok and nothing bad happened to prevent you from updating this.