Monday, December 6, 2010

Winter's Silver Overcoat...Blue Sky...Crystalline.....

Everyone has favorites. A favorite song. A favorite movie. A favorite child. Sometimes people will say, "I don't think I really have one," when asked a favorite something. Of course you do! Have an opinion! Jesus! (Jesus is my favorite self-proclaimed savior/seemingly nice guy with some good ideas).

The holidays are a perfect time to figure out your favorites! You're already deciding who is getting a Christmas card, who is getting a present, etc. It's a natural part of the season because you can't give everything to everyone...I've looked into it. Trust me. Let's explore some of our favorites, together:

Favorite holiday movie - Love, Actually. Great movie. Very quotable. I'm a girl. Funny and heartwarming.  Elf is a close second, but if I could only watch one holiday movie each year, it would be Love, Actually. I quote it all the time but I think the only person who actually picks up on it is my friend Kristin. Usually when I say things like, "Just in cases," people look at me like I'm a girl from Portugal hired to help clean Colin Firth's house after I just dove into a pond to save his book because he didn't make any copies.

Favorite holiday song - Life is so hard! This is a tough question, but if I could only listen to one Christmas song each year it would be Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. It's just classic. Plus it's actually two songs, meaning 1) it was a mashup before mashups were cool and 2) I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck. A two-for-one and everyone loves a bargain around the holidays. Runners up - Last Christmas by Wham! and Christmas Time Is Here from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Favorite Christmas present received- Another tough question. I'm going with the year I received a  microscope. I know what you're thinking, "But Lisa, you're not...smart," and that's fine. I just never got tired of looking at that slide of a fruit fly. On a related note, I can't believe I had friends as a child. Runner up - Masters of the Universe Slime Pit. The only reason why it came in second is that once you got crumbs or dust or anything into that slime...it was pretty gross.

Favorite stocking stuffer - Scratch tickets. Hands down. Next question.

Favorite holiday tradition -  Going to my Auntie Ellen's every Christmas Eve. It's the best. This year we're introducing board games. In the past, we've done family trivia and had dance parties. Also, when we were younger, we were tasked with carrying around trays of hors d'oeuvres. I remember feeling so privileged to have that opportunity. Now I feel like we were just cheap labor. I think we were paid in stuffed mushrooms.

Least favorite holiday tradition - Taking down the Christmas tree. That's the worst. Wrapping up all the ornaments. Inevitably losing ornament hooks. First, it's sad because it signals the end of the holiday season. Second, it's just boring. The room looks a little "off" for the next few days because you feel like there is just something missing. Like a big, giant hole where a tree used to be. I imagine this is exactly how they felt in Ferngully.

So what about you? What are your favorite holiday things? I'd love to hear about them. Sleigh bells ring....and I AM LISTENING.

6 comments:

shineslikegold said...

I can never decide, and since I can post whatever I want and you can't yell at me like in a real conversation, I'm gonna post whatever jumps to mind.

Favorite Holiday Movies:
Die Hard
Gremlins
Home Alone - "Bring me back something French!"

Favorite Holiday Song
What Christmas Means to Me by Stevie Wonder
Great Big Sled by the Killers
I'm Gettin' Nuttin For Christmas - Barry Gordon
Father Christmas - The Features

Favorite Xmas Present Received:
I got Scrabble Deluxe when I was in 4th Grade. Much like with your microscope, I got friends when I stopped telling people I got Scrabble Deluxe for Xmas.

Stocking Stuffer: Junior Mints. The Big Box. Dunzo.

Holiday Tradition:

1. "Kids Picture" at the top of the stairs. My sister, brother and I were 32, 30 and 29 respectively last Xmas and still took it.
2. Falling asleep Christmas Eve to TNT's 24 hours of a Christmas Story. A "tradition" started in high school after coming home from midnight mass... BUMPUSSES!

Least Favorite Holiday Tradition: Having to split the day between families. I love 'em all and everything. But Christmas in the car bites.

Great job, Lisa.

Ryan said...

Favorite Holiday Movie:
Christmas Vacation
(Elf and Love, Actually are tied for 2nd. I like to whisper too, but I hate Uncle Jaime.)

Favorite Holiday Song:
Do They Know Its Christmas (I'm not sure they did, but they do still think the Pats went 19-0)

Favorite Xmas Gift Received:
Nintendo (more specifically, Duck Hunt. Also, I cheated and put the gun right up to the screen all the time.)

Favorite Stocking Stuffer:
Shave gel (That shit is expensive.)

Favorite Holiday Tradition:
Christmas Eve BLT's (Because bacon makes everything better.)

Least Favorite Tradition:
Visiting Dad in prison (that has to be someone's)

Nick said...

Holiday Movie:
Bad Santa

Present:
Super Nintendo

Tradition:
Making vegetarian tacos on New Years

Anonymous said...

My Favorite:

Character: Scrooge (before ghost visits)
Gift (to give): Checks
Gift (to receive): Cash
Gift (to give kids): Water Bottles
Secret Santa Gift: Notebooks
Christmas Song: “Macarena Christmas” by Los Del Rio
Christmas Movie: Caligula
Pain: In my legs I guess
Memory: Genuinely forgetting it was Christmas Eve (1992)
Place to Pickpocket: Burlington Mall, any December Saturday afternoon
Christmas Expression: Bah. Humbug!
Christmas Meal: Hungry Man (Salisbury Steak)
Post-Christmas Tradition: Laughing at Christmas Trees on curbs
Christmas Eve Tradition: Think Hungry Man and Caligula
Christmas Day Tradition: Visiting mom in prison

--Steve

Lisa Lisa said...

Hahaha I hate you guys for being funnier than me....but I adore you guys for being funnier than me. Life is so complicated. Thank you for sharing your hilarious favorite things with me and the world. And who knew two of my readers have parent's in prison?

erica said...

Favorite holiday movie - Christmas Vacation. So much win in that movie. "TAKE IT, RUSS! [silence] FA LA LA LA LA, LALALALA." I wait for it to get old every year, and it just doesn't. I thought my love for Chevy Chase knew no bounds but I don't like Community. Makes me sad. Anyway, close second: Elf. Close third: It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story (purely for the phrase "the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window.")

Favorite holiday song - Non-traditonal: "May Christmas Bring you Happiness" by Luther Vandross. Man can sing some CHRISTMAS JAMS. I also love "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love.

Traditional: Just about any version of "O Holy Night" gets me right here.

Favorite Christmas present received- Photos would indicate that it was the Barbie and the Rockers purple van circa about 1988. There was lots of jumping and screaming (odd for a house with a relatively reserved only child in it). Later in life, like 3 years ago, I got really excited for a new kitchen sink...and then I wanted to put my head in the oven for getting old.

Favorite stocking stuffer - Life Savers! Makeup that is small but expensive!

Favorite holiday tradition - Watching Christmas Vacation the Sunday before Christmas on TV. A new tradition in my home is putting my ET ornament at the top of the tree.

Least favorite holiday tradition - Doing shopping for my dad. Like, things for my mom FROM my dad. BOO.