Monday, November 8, 2010

This Used to be My Playground....Used to be....This Used to be My Childhood Dream....

My wonderful friend Amy got stuck had the opportunity to babysit her niece and nephew this weekend and in an effort to secure the title of "World's Best Aunt," decided on a host of activities, including but not limited to a Sunday night visit to Chuck E. Cheese. I was invited along. Kids? Games? Amy? Jackpot.

First of all, I got there about 15 minutes before Amy arrived and was faced with a pretty easy decision. Go in or stay outside? Easy! I mean, I had to just wait in my car because I wasn't about to walk in there without a kid, that would be creepy. But do you know what is more creepy? Sitting in your car outside of Chuck E. Cheese. I felt like every parent that walked out GLARED at me, like I was just sitting there, waiting for some kid to wander just far enough away so I could throw them into the back of my Accord. Or like my accomplice friend was inside and I was waiting in the getaway car for when she comes running out with a new addition to the family. The entire thing was very stressful and I hadn't even been inside yet. And in all honestly, most of the kids weren't even that cute. Definitely not steal-worthy.

Speaking of inside, I'm fairly certain Chuck E. Cheese used to be about 10x the size it is now. And what ever happened to the Cheese Factory? I remember it quite distinctly. The carpet was blue. At one point you jumped down a pretty big stair, then ran over this part that was kind of like a waterbed, then...okay, fine, that's all I remember. But it existed! And now it doesn't. Why? Did someone die in there? Someone died in there, didn't they? Did they ever find that kid? I bet the only kids that ever died at Chuck E. Cheese died of the flu. Seriously, I feel like I needed a Purell shower after exiting the premises.

And where are all the cool games?! Where is Whack-A-Mole? I really don't feel like earning tickets by playing the game where you drop the coin in and try to time it so it lands in a boat. I want to abuse some small animals that are so beaten up they actually look like critters...from the movie Critters.

Even the swag isn't as cool as it was before. Granted we had about 11 tickets (we were working with a 3 year old and a 1 year old) but certainly our options weren't as cool as this AWESOMENESS featured today on I'm Remembering.

Who doesn't want a Mr. Munch plastic figurine? Yes, that's the Grimace-like purple guy. Why do I know that? The real question is: Why don't you? 

I guess one day, when I care about things besides myself, I'll look at places like Chuck E. Cheese in a new light. Be consumed by a sense of wonder as I see it through the eyes of a child. (Should be around 2025...unless I find one cute enough to steal....)

9 comments:

AML said...

It was like finding out Santa wasn't real ALL. OVER. AGAIN. I talked to my dad today and told him how disappointing it was. He insisted I was romanticizing my childhood memory, but I had empirical proof - no ball pit.

Unknown said...

You are an awesome writer. You are exactly on point with this blog, I miss the Cheese Factory too. About the sitting outside in the car, at least you are a woman. If a man did that they would call the cops on him for sure, thinking he was a petifile or something.

Lisa Lisa said...

@AML - You romanticized nothing. I remembered it the same way you did. I laughed at your use of "empirical proof," because you're smart and I like you.

@jason - Thanks! And yes, if I was a guy I would have been perceived as a pedophile. And in this game of life, Baby Stealer > Pedophile, I guess?

mahshad said...

ahh, memories... i got into my first ever fist fight at a Chuck E. Cheese. i had this amazing shirt with a cheerleading koala bear on it (naturally), and her nose was actually a puffy protrusion of which i was particularly fond. i mean, HELLO? 3D clothing!! anyway some little shit in the ball bath grabbed me by the koala nose on my shirt, ripped it off, and then threw it into that massive (seeming -- to my 5 year old frame) pit of plastic despair. needless to say, i saw red (and blue and yellow and green) and punched that asshole square in the nose and made it bleed. we didn't go back there ever again.

Pamela said...

Big time hilars. I like it very much, props to Ross for pointing me over to your blog!

Lisa Lisa said...

@mahshad - Good for you for fighting back. I would have probably just cried and drowned my sorrows in the warm, cheesey goodness of another slice of pizza. And that is why I was fat.

@Pamela Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Stay off my turf.

Steve G.

Dan Barnes said...

Best thing about being required to go to chuck e cheese? Beer on tap.

aryanoone said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice Blog.I like it.
mcafee activate product key
norton activation
norton activation
mcafee activate product key
Comcast support number
AVG Antivirus phone number
webroot phone number
kaspersky phone number
Outlook Phone number
Microsoft Edge Phone number